The Greek Revolution of 1821 truths by Thodoros Panagopoulos
Parts of truth you didn’t know on Greek Revolution of 1821. The writer of ‘The small print of History’ Theodoros Panagopoulos doubts accuracy of history in school textbooks and as Greeks learn at school.
Nations do not raise only heroes but scumbags too, who write history as well, says Vasilis Rafailidis for the history of the Neohellenic State (1830-1974). And when the scambags write history, then the story also includes injustices.
The injustice and, by extension, the rendering of justice was the motive that prompted Theodoros Panagopoulos to write ‘The Small Print of History’, a book that challenges much of what we considered as status quo for the Greek Revolution of 1821, simply because they are mentioned into school books.
Whilst studying the past fifteen years what has been written about ’21, I formed the opinion that the Revolution was betrayed both from inside and outside said Theodoros Panagopoulos.
As a retired judge was disturbed by historical injustices and wanted through his book to attribute justice. Here are some of the points in the book:
- Revolution started well organized but was betrayed internally by the local rulers, who exercised political power and seized economy control as collected taxes for the Sultan and kept a generous share for themselves. They could not afford Independent State or they would lose their privileges and fortunes.
- Revolution was betrayed by the Phanariotes and those who came with them to Greece. People like Mavrokordatos and Karatzas who came from the Danubian hegemonies and brought with them various strange youths such as Polyzopi and Skoufa, who later became moral instigators of the Kapodistrias murder. All those who came outside were not more than twenty years old. They fought the chieftains who had started the Revolution and so they actually betrayed it.
We would have been a different state, perhaps happier, more peaceful and completely independent if they did not kill Capodistrias, who had dreams of making Greece a great, strong and independent
- The Leading States of the time, England and France never wanted Russia in Mediterranean. They preferred an independent state of the Othoman Empire. The Leading States of that time had no choice but to accept the independence when Russians were ready to start the war out of Constantinople. Sultan was forced now from the Leading States to accept independence and the small Greek state was formed to include Peloponnese, Cyclades and Sterea Ellada.
- The Leading States of the time wanted Greece a protectorate, in conditions to pay taxes to Sultan and the Greek Governor to be appointed by Sultan’s authorization. Since Ioannis Kapodistrias, the first Prime Minister of Hellas was elected by the Greeks, it is allegedly said that they organized the plan of his assassination through Mavromichalis family. This is how our complete dependence started from the Leading States.In Revolution 1821 Navarino was not that important. All started from a misunderstanding, when the English ship moved to the Turkish fleet under white flag, Turkish attacked and the battle started.
The Battle of Navarino on October 20, 1827, was a great victory against Greece’s Ottoman rulers, yet it is an event that is not celebrated by Greeks, just because it was a victory of international diplomacy and foreign intervention, and not of the brave Hellenic spirit.
- The Leading States wanted us divided, so the loan Greeks accepted divided us indeed. They established a small party with the rich people from one side, and from the other side it was the heroes of the Revolution, Karaiskakis, Kolokotronis, Androutsos. They assassinated the two of them and imprisoned Kolokotronis.
- How we would succeed without the Leading States? The first year of the Revolution we had 6 victories and none defeat. At the end, by the appointment of Mavrokordatos and until 1832 we had none victory. We had 10 defeats in Peloponnese and convictions of heroes like this one of Kolokotronis and Karaiskakis. We had 8 assassinations and 2 internal wars. We had 200000 dead ones, cripples and imprisoned Greeks, evaluating the fact that the total population of the Greeks was 900000.
- We took loans all wasted. From the 2 million pounds only 800000 arrived in Greece, as Kountouriotis, Kolettis and Mavrokordatos kept part of them. We ordered ships from English shipyards which never arrived at the period of the Revolution as shipyards were committed from Mehmet Ali to give him the privilege when approaching Peloponnese.
- Regrettably in 1821 we did not have the proper leadership. We had Mavrokordatos and Kolettis, who minimized the authority of all Chief fighters and field marshals, the heroes and intelligent minds like Ypsilantis, by asking permission first for any action.
- Lordon Byron gave a loan which made the Greek state to pay back to his successors. The Greek Church had excommunicated the hero Riga Feraio and Kolokotronis and called Sultan ‘the King’.
These and many more are stated in the book of Thodoros Panagopoulos. We need to dive in our history and comprehend what is wrong in our present.
If you are not told the truth how can you shape an opinion
The first Prime Minister Kapodistrias he never accepted a salary and died without possessing anything. The member of the Parliament today do not accept cut of a penny and enjoy privileges.
- Τhe first German Occupation started with the Bavarians. They brought Othon a child at that time and 3500 Bavarians. They set up two rusty guides in Chalkida and Nafplio and behand to cut heads. The army of Kapodistrias, which consisted of those who fought the Revolution, was arrested in Nafplion, and disarmed this army.
- From the Greek history I feel proud for Kolokotronis’ attitude, and sad for Kapodistrias loss. Proud for Nikitaras and Mando Mavrogenous. For all people in value, who gave their soul and life into the Revolution and thanks to them we enjoy today our freedom.
- When Greeks were living in the coast of Turkey they treated very poorly Turkish people. So they slaughtered us and sent us back. History should be more objective by stating our mistakes and facts.
- This place was the cradle of philosophy and democracy in antiquity. After 146AC when Hellas became a Roman empire we became an east and west estate with emperors none of them Greek. So the DNA is not clean and no nation can have a pure blood of its race. We also have Turkish blood and Turkish people have Greek blood.
I will disagree for the point of Byzantium for reasons to state in another blog but respect writer’s knowledge and state in his book and mention as of his interview in the blog from which part was translated.
- Parades boost the national feeling and are power demonstration. But these days we should teach in schools what exactly happened in 1821 to honor the heroes.
The only way to honor people who fought in Revolution is to respect and speak for them, and consider them as a prototype, idols, and follow their path.
Book ‘The Fine Print of History’ by Editions Enalios
Translated post by original of George Mylonas in reference to Thodoros Panagopoulos book. Source: https://www.oneman.gr/keimena/diabasma/malebox/merikes-alhtheies-poy-den-hkseres-gia-to-1821.4591611.html
Axiom by ECODNA.ART
Nomadic Lifestyle Blog & Mobile Magazine and Life Daily, by the Global Visionary Citizen Maria Bakalakou, a Seanomad in Bohemian Living, in care of Peace and Multiculturalism, Planet Sustainability through Evolutionary Projects. Superyacht Frantic & Pro supporting interfaith initiatives, solidarity, sustainable communities.
Follow @ecodna.art in media to join our multicultural community
Bridges in cultures and coexistence. Human Solidarity. Modesty, tolerance, knowledge. Coexistence and Sustainability. Good health & Peace upon you!
Hello there I read your story about Greek revolution 1821 but I can’t see you are telling the real truth of Greece how become as Republic in this actually where Greece is now also you didn’t say mentioned the population in Greece at the time of the revolution 1821 who was fighting ottoman and the make Greece as new country don’t forget arvanites so arvanites make Greece as country every body knows that so now arvanites become Greek spoken language i have been in Greece 40 years ago every were you go they speak( arvanites Albania) so we know how Greece become as country